Sunday, March 15, 2009

What I Learned from Steven King

First Off, I honestly wish I had put a little more time into reading this book. I tended to skim through a lot of it and though I did take in most of it, I’m sure there was still a lot more information I could of taken out of it. The main thing that I really took from Steven King and applied to my own writing was to “Kill your Darlings.” The reason I took the most out of this is because In my writing I notice that I love to go off on rants about things that don’t particularly pertain to what I’m writing. The rant can be connected to whatever I’m writing but normally it just tends to carry me away from my main subjects or interests and goes off in to a completely opinion based world in my head. Almost every article I’ve wrote so far has some kind of rant that I’ve looked over when I was done and said, “what was I thinking, as comically golden as this is it’s just got to go.” People don’t want hear about how much I hate George Bush in the middle of a review of my favorite show, Grey’s Anatomy . The Book also got me to clear my head, and clear off a spot to write as opposed to me cramming myself into the corner of the bed. The last and most important thing I’ve taken out of the book is to keep trying and never give up. You just have to keep writing even if you’re going nowhere, and then take the exercise you get out of it and to put towards future writing and projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment